My last post showed you how to remove laundry stains easily with the sun. And that got me to thinking about how the Son (Jesus!) can do the same thing. Except He can remove stains that are much worse than the ones on a cloth diaper.
I love how everything (really, everything!) in nature boldly proclaims the glory of God all the time (Psalm 19). If we really look and listen, He will show us some incredible things.
So I was curious. What does the Bible say about the sun? Are there any other sun/Son similarities?
I looked up the word “sun” using Bible Gateway’s handy search feature. The word “sun” shows up in the Bible 152 times.
Now I don’t think it’s a perfect comparison, the sun and the Son. And I don’t see in the Bible where the sun directly represents God. But there are some positive correlations that I found nifty.
Here’s a summary of what I found:
The Sun Tells Time and Gives Direction
“He appointed the moon for seasons: the sun knoweth his going down.” Psalm 104:19
In pre-clock days, the sun was used to tell time. In the Old Testament especially, there are tons of phrases like “when the sun went down,” “when the sun waxed hot,” and “when the sun rises,” all referring to when something takes place.
The sun was also used as a compass. Phrases like “toward the rising of the sun” and “where the sun goes down” refer to a specific place or direction.
Using the sun for time and directions was possible, of course, because the sun is steady and consistent. The sun knows when to rise and when to set. We can absolutely depend on it until the end of, well, time.
The Sun Boosts Mood and Energy Levels
I don’t know about you, but I tend to get cranky and listless on rainy days. Today was one of those days. I seriously needed some sun!
The sun’s rays make you happy. They give you strength and vitality. This article lists a few of the sun’s morale-boosting benefits:
- “Feeling down? One of the major benefits of sunlight is that it will soothe your nerves and boost your mood leaving you with a renewed sense of wellbeing. Sunlight increases the production of endorphins and serotonin in your brain, which will definitely leave you feeling much better.
- Other benefits of sunlight include the life-giving energy it gives to your organs and the way it helps to strengthen and vitalize your body.”
Psalm 19:5 likens the sun to a newly married man or a strong runner:
“Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoices as a strong man to run a race.”
What better description of strength, happiness, and vitality can you find than that? Need I say more?
The Sun Heals
“The sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings…” Ezekiel 4:2
Did you know that the sun has healing properties? It’s true! Here is the same article listing more awesome qualities of the sun:
- “The ultraviolet rays in sunshine act as a natural antiseptic. These rays can kill viruses, bacteria, molds, yeasts, fungi, and mites in air, water, and on different surfaces including your skin.
- Getting some sun tends to help clear up different skin diseases such as acne, boils, athletes foot, diaper rash, psoriasis, and eczema.
- Getting your daily dose of sunshine will enhance your immune system. It increases the number of white blood cells in your blood. It also helps them to be better fighters in their mission to destroy germs.
- Sunlight is one of the most effective healing agents that exists. The healing properties of the sun are excellent for people who suffer from various diseases and ailments.
- Sunlight improves the function of your liver and helps it to break down toxins and wastes that could lead to cancer and other diseases.
- If you’ve got swollen, arthritic joints, sunlight may help lower your pain levels.
- Sunlight is an effective treatment for jaundice.
- According to some studies on the benefits of sunlight, exposure to the sun may decrease your risk of breast, colon, and prostate cancers.
- Sunlight helps your body convert a form of cholesterol that is present in your skin into vitamin D. This results in lower blood cholesterol levels.”
If you got excited when you learned what the sun could do for your kid’s diaper stains (like I did), then the above list probably left you speechless with joy. The sun really is incredible. I never knew it could do all that!
All of Life Depends on the Sun
“And for the precious fruits brought forth by the sun…” Deuteronomy 33:14
Everything- plants and animals, including we humans- depends on the sun for existence. The sun powers photosynthesis, the water cycle, and much more. The sun provides the light and heat that sustains this planet. I won’t get into all the details (because you’re probably not reading this to brush up on your seventh grade science skills), but take it from me- no sun, no fun.
So What Does This Have To Do With Jesus?
Lots of things!
The Son Gives Direction and Purpose
“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” Psalm 119:105
Just as the sun helps us tell time and find direction, Jesus gives our lives direction and purpose. He is our anchor. We can always depend on Him to be with us, no matter what. He is our compass and guide.
The Son Gives Joy and Strength
“…weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.” Psalm 30:5
Just like a good dose of sunshine leaves us feeling happy and energized, time spent with Jesus makes us feel the same way. I know that when I spend some quality time with Jesus, especially early in the morning before the rest of the house is awake, I feel so much more cheerful and energized for the rest of the day. The joy of the Lord is our strength!
The Son Heals
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised.” Luke 4:18
The Son Jesus Christ is our ultimate Healer! He heals our hurts and pains, He can heal all of our diseases, and one day He will transform our earthly bodies into glorious, immortal bodies that will never know any suffering, sickness, or death.
Never, ever again. Thank You Jesus!
True Life Depends on the Son
“Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.” I John 5:12
I think this comparison is pretty obvious.
Jesus Christ is our life. In Him we live, move, and have our being. Without Him, we would be nothing. Jesus died so that we could live with Him forever in heaven, where
“…they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God gives them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.” Revelation 22:5
The Light Is Sweet
Ecclesiastes 11:7 says
“Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun.”
And even more pleasant it will be for our world-weary eyes to one day finally behold the Son, our precious Savior Jesus Christ.
Yes, truly the Light is sweet.
Have you found other comparisons between the sun and the Son in the Bible? Ready to get out in the sun and soak up some rays? Share your thoughts below!